Tuesday, July 05, 2016

In honour of the Sewing Bee, are you a cat person too?

Good afternoon and how are you today.  I have been enjoying the morning with my youngest but as he is now away to paint the step with his Dad I have five minutes peace.
This is on the understanding that later after lunch we are baking.

Did you watch the Sewing Bee final last night?
I have loved this series, last night was so very close in the end.  I thought either of the three finalists could have won but I was glad it was Charlotte.  Her evening dress was gorgeous, the zip could have been sorted with more time to spare, and I absolutely loved her little black dress, especially the Dickie on the back.

In honour of the Sewing bee I recently made a project which I can now share as she has been re homed.
I bought these kits whilst on my trip to Edinburgh and as soon as I saw this little lady I knew my pal Elaine would give her a good home and look after her.


I have to admit I was quite chuffed I got this cat made I am not a sewer by any means and I did find parts of the instructions confusing.  I have it on good authority from one of my seamstress pals that, that it is because I am inexperienced at reading patterns.
I machine stitched some of the cat but decided I preferred a hand stitched blanket stitch over the machine for the body, arms, legs and tail.  I just think it looks so much neater than a machine zigzag stitch.  The material in the ears and feet are not what the pattern came with but all will become clear with the next photograph.


I matched the cat's body parts to the second kit I'd purchased in order to make the dress.  How cute is that!  You could buy the cat with a ball gown on but I preferred this cotton dress instead.
The kit is from Coolcrafting, I love the bunnies, I might have to go back for another kit.
The lady who owns the company did feel as a novice I could manage the kit with the instructions and she was correct.  I do however think I would have found the experience a lot easier with a little more knowledge under my belt. The perfectionist in my rearing it's ugly head!
In the end I was very happy with the results and Elaine absolutely loved her, which is the main thing.

I think it is now time for me to go and get my baking head on.  What will we make?
I can pretty much guarantee it will be something smothered in chocolate if my youngest has his way.
Enjoy the rest of your Tuesday and happy crafting.

5 comments:

cuilliesocks said...

Well done you!,Fabulous project Erika, she is lovely, never ever knitted nor sewn little toys, although I've got a owl kit for knitting, get around to it sometime, Kate x

Mrs A. said...

She is just gorgeous. Does she have a name yet? Hope you had fun with the baking. Hugs Mrs A.

Marianne's Craftroom said...

I am not a sewer, but love embriodery, cross sticth etc. This is gorgeous and I know Elaine loved it as I am sure I saw it on FB.

Rainey's Craft Room said...

I've finally reached your blog, sorry to have been so long.
Your little cat is fabulous, love the matching dress too. What beautiful gifts these make, I'm sure your friend was thrilled to receive it.
also I loved the apple cookies for the teachers in your earlier post, what a great idea, delicious too.
Lorraine

Cara said...

She's beautiful. Darn it, I had to look at the bunnies..... Cara x